Friday Morning Iced Coffee Date

Friday Morning Iced Coffee Date

Good morning and a very HAPPY FRIDAY to you!

I’ve seen a few bloggers have virtual “coffee dates” with their readers, and I just love the idea so much. So I wanted to have one with you guys, too. Of course, it would be an ICED coffee date since I don’t drink the hot stuff all that often… unless it’s a pumpkin spice variety in the fall. That’s pretty much the only time I’ll switch things up for hot coffee. Anyway, just wanted to chat with you and share some news/thoughts/ideas that have been on my mind lately. And I would love, love, love to hear from YOU! I realize blogs have changed quite a bit in recent years and commenting is down overall, but I miss you guys and want to know what’s going on. Fill me in! ?

iced coffee date

When I was in Santa Barbara last week, I heard an incredible motivational talk from John Jacobs, one of the co-founders of Life is Good. One thing he said that really resonated with me was the idea of “get to” versus “have to”. I’ve actually blogged about this same idea in the past, but related to exercise. I never think of exercise as something that I “have to” do. It’s ALWAYS something that I “get to” do, which never makes it seem like a chore. But, of course, this idea relates to so many other things in life. A great example from John Jacobs: You have to go to a meeting? What about: You get to go to a meeting because you have a job? It was such a nice way to spin negative thinking. And it’s crazy how that one word shift makes such a difference in our gratitude and what we are thankful for.

If we were chatting over iced coffee this morning, I would also tell you that this idea of “get to” has been following me around for quite sometime now.

When I met Lindsay from Pinch of Yum in Canada last month, we talked about “get to” with regard to creativity and our jobs as bloggers. When it comes to full-time, professional blogging, there are a lot of moving pieces, which, like most jobs, can be overwhelming, stressful, and just plain ol’ frustrating. Lindsay suggested instead of getting bogged down with all of the tasks that you have to do, remind yourself that you get to do them. Develop a new recipe? You get to create it. Attend a media event? You get to have that opportunity. I immediately loved her way of thinking, and she even took it one step further by telling me about “it’s better to be a trickster than a martyr” from Elizabeth Gilbert’s book Big Magic. You can read a full explanation here, but, basically, you can suffer and trudge through your work like a martyr or stay “light on your feet” and have fun while doing it like a trickster.

This “get to” stuff has changed my thinking about a lot of things in life. So much, in fact, I want to have a custom sign made for my office that simply says: GET TO. I’d love to have this constant reminder/motivation at the forefront of my day. I could probably have something made on Etsy, right?

Image result for "get to" "have to"

Ok, so I just went on and on and on about that. What do you think about “get to” versus “have to”? What reminds you to be grateful in your everyday life? Do you have any motivational signs/quotes hanging in your home or place of work? Tell me about them.

Year after year, I visit Barrett’s Haunted Mansion with friends. Once again, our friends invited us to go, but, this time, I’m going to stay home because I just don’t like being scared. I go every year, thinking it will be a good time (and it is… sort of), but I’m done with being scared for “fun.” It’s just not my cup of tea. Anyone else hate being scared?

Image result for carrotsncake haunted house

When I picked up Quinn from daycare the other day, one of his teachers told me that he was the “line leader.” Basically, the kid at the front of the line that led the other children from the classroom to the play area outside. I honestly don’t think I’ve ever felt so proud in my entire life. I can’t even imagine what it’s going to be like when he learns to ride his bike or graduates from Kindergarten.

There are only 4 days left to purchase a “Happy Hour Starts Now” tank top to benefit the CCFA. They’re only available for a limited time, and I would appreciate your support so very much.

happy hour start now tank top

If you guys have questions about Designed to Fit Nutrition (FYI: I started a custom meal plan business with my friend Kerrie), please leave them in the comment section below. I am planning to write a blog post on CNC soon, but I don’t want to just regurgitate what’s on the website, ya know? Any sort of direction about what you guys want to know would be super helpful!

DTF_logo

Stitch Fix for Men is now live, and Mal is SO PUMPED! He was always jealous of my “fixes,” but now he can have his own! If you have a guy in your life who needs help with his wardrobe, definitely sign him up for a fix. He’ll have instant style! Stitch Fix would also make a great birthday/anniversary/holiday gift, especially for the guy who seems to have everything!

stitch fix for men

Question of the Day

Your turn! What’s on your mind this morning?

What would you tell me at our Friday iced coffee date?

P.S. Did you know Carrots ‘N’ Cake has a weekly newsletter? That’s right. It’s a lot of fun and you should definitely sign up for all of the latest news, deals, and updates! Just enter your email on the right side of the main page under “Weekly Newsletter.”

34 Comments

1. LindsaySeptember 23, 2016 at 4:54 am
    Reply Good morning! Do you create meal plans for people who are training for various events? I’m running my first marathon in January and am struggling a bit with the nutrition aspect – trying to consume enough calories and make sure they’re the ones I need, not just the Mellow Mushroom meat lovers pizza calories (ahem, yesterday.)

2. Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious

KimSeptember 23, 2016 at 6:25 am
    Reply Omg no way would I ever go to Barrett’s – I can’t stand being scared. Looks creepy enough driving by it!

3. JaneSeptember 23, 2016 at 6:32 am
    Reply I have been reading for years and this is my first time commenting!! Ask and you shall receive ???? I would tell you that Quinn is so cute and you have every right to be proud of him!! Have a great weekend!

4. Tina

September 23, 2016 at 6:42 am
    Reply Aww, thank you for the sweet comment!

5. Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious

September 23, 2016 at 6:40 am
    Reply Well I’m having hip replacement surgery this morning and I’m up early finishing work because I’m upset, anxious and cannot sleep. Thankfully, it’s an easier surgery than traditional ones with only a two week recovery and outpatient but still, my entire life will be changed in a few hours forever. So instead of telling myself I am losing something, I keep saying I am gaining a better life going through this.

6. Tina

September 23, 2016 at 6:41 am
    Reply Good luck with everything. Everything is going to go great! <3

7. Kathryn PondSeptember 26, 2016 at 1:50 pm
    Reply @Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious: i admire you and stay strong Megan!

8. Sarah @ BucketListTummy

KarenSeptember 23, 2016 at 8:04 am
    Reply Thanks so much for your well timed post! This week has been long and I just wasn’t feeling it today. One more push to finish out the week! I am totally into the Get To idea! If you find a cute sign let us know!

9. Jen KedSeptember 23, 2016 at 8:18 am
    Reply This was such a great post. I love that I get to reply to you. One of my favorite quotes, that was said a lot from my CrossFit coach was, The Pain of Discipline Weighs Ounces, the Pain of Regret Weighs Tons…
    My children are older, 15 and 13, but I remember that proud feeling of line leader, door holder, star of the week. So many memories.
    Tina, I think it takes a lot of courage to do what you do, put yourself out there of so many to criticize. I clearly remember a guest blog post regarding IIFYM/Macros based meal planning and the comments blew up. I’ve tried a custom meal plan and for what ever reason I got wrapped up in the perfection of what my choices were, even though I knew I could adjust and eat what I wanted to “fit” in – needless to say I didn’t do well. But I don’t think that way and I have a hard time. I didn’t do well with it, specifically because I told them, No Beans, and sure enough there they were.
    I am considering your plan, but need to budget it in. My question(s) is, does the plan map out your meals to eat throughout the day and show the breakdown of macros? Do you include a list of substitutions that shows the macros based on lets say a 1 ounce so that you can interchange food? Do you review foods eaten and make suggestions on where I went wrong and what I could have substituted?
    Thanks again Tina for always providing great content!! (I didn’t proofread this so I hope it makes sense)

10. Jen KedSeptember 23, 2016 at 8:18 am

11. Jen KedSeptember 23, 2016 at 8:18 am

12. Jen KedSeptember 23, 2016 at 8:18 am

13. Jen KedSeptember 23, 2016 at 8:18 am

14. Tina

September 23, 2016 at 8:29 am
    Reply Great questions! Thank you! ????

15. KellySeptember 23, 2016 at 8:18 am
    Reply I love the sentiment of “get to” versus “have to”! I discovered your blog when I started Crossfit almost a year ago, and I have Crohn’s. Crossfit has made such a huge impact on me and I’m so grateful for every day that I’m healthy and am able to go!

16. Tina

September 23, 2016 at 8:28 am
    Reply Me too! ????

17. TraciSeptember 23, 2016 at 8:24 am
    Reply I’ve heard the same about blogs, but I still find myself reading them all of the time. I just thought I would chime in because sometimes the people who read day in and day out just don’t leave comments! I find myself doing the same thing sometimes and it doesn’t make me less “engaged” (in my opinion).
    PS. Good timing for an iced coffee date because I’m sipping on a pumpkin iced coffee from Starbucks as we speak! ????
    I also HATE being scared and refuse to go to any haunted houses after a terrifying visit to Six Flags Fright Fest one year…

18. TraciSeptember 23, 2016 at 8:24 am

19. TraciSeptember 23, 2016 at 8:24 am

20. Tina

September 23, 2016 at 8:27 am
    Reply I totally get it. I’m the same way. I read a few blogs on the regular, but I never comment. I still love reading though!

21. Brynn

September 23, 2016 at 8:38 am
    Reply The concept of switching your mindset to get to is really cool and I can see how that would be powerful. I’ve been practicing a focus on gratitude. Life has been throwing a lot of lemon lately, but I know there’s always good to be grateful for!

22. Linda @ The Fitty

Sarah @ BucketListTummy

September 23, 2016 at 9:00 am
    Reply I’d be having iced coffee too! A Rhode Island girl at heart, nothing makes me happier than a Dunkin iced! I love the idea of get to vs have to – It makes us live in the moment and truly appreciate the obligations that we honor.

23. TheDimpledRunner

KirstenSeptember 23, 2016 at 9:06 am
    Reply I keep a small gratitude journal in my nightstand. I don’t write in it every night but I always know it’s there and I often take it out when I’ve had a particularly difficult day or am feeling anxious as I head to bed. Changing my thoughts to focus on things I am grateful for right before I fall asleep is so helpful for me! Plus, it’s fun to look back at all the past entries!

24. Tina

September 23, 2016 at 11:55 am
    Reply That’s such a great idea. I should really start doing that too!

25. JacquelineSeptember 23, 2016 at 9:09 am
    Reply I love the virtual coffee date! I’m sippin’ mine right now as I read.

26. Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats

YaelSeptember 23, 2016 at 9:26 am
    Reply Oh, I’m so with you there on hating being scared! Will not do it. Life is scary enough, I don’t need to seek out additional fake scariness!
    Also, just wanted to say how much I love your blog. I always read your posts as I’m getting ready for work in the morning and they really help me get started on my day! ????

27. Kaitlyn @ Powered by Sass

YaelSeptember 23, 2016 at 9:26 am

28. Katie @ Peace Love & Oats

Allison

September 23, 2016 at 9:37 am
    Reply I was wishing I could have a coffee date today – on my front porch! I just bought some Pumpkin Pie flavored coffee. So good! Love the idea of “get to” vs. “have to.” This can be such a powerful way to frame my day-to-day obligations. Happy Friday!

29. Danielle @ Wild Coast Tales

JillSeptember 23, 2016 at 9:51 am
    Reply I love these types of posts! The “get to” mindset is a great reminder of how to approach things with positivity. I appreciated reading that this morning. And I totally feel you on disliking being scared. I have never enjoyed it. The big thing on my mind is upcoming surgery next week to address some infertility issues. Even though it’s surgery, which is scary, I’m actually excited about it. Every step we get to take on this journey is leading us closer to being able to get pregnant. And I’m lucky that I have a doctor I trust and insurance to help cover some costs.

30. Nisha @ Honey What's Cooking

Tina

September 23, 2016 at 11:54 am
    Reply Best of luck with your upcoming surgery! <3

31. KeilahSeptember 23, 2016 at 10:06 am
    Reply Love the challenge to think “get to” instead of “have to!”
    Today I am a proud mama because my son (in 1st grade) received a note in the mail from his teacher yesterday that he was the “Bo Leader” (the award is sponsored by Bojangles). Apparently you get this honor by displaying the 7 Habits of a Leader throughout the week. He was so excited and proud of himself! He talked about it non-stop last night and this morning on the way to school.

32. KeilahSeptember 23, 2016 at 10:06 am
    Reply Love the challenge to think “get to” instead of “have to!”

33. Tina

September 23, 2016 at 11:54 am
    Reply Aww, that’s awesome!

34. Kaelin SSeptember 23, 2016 at 10:18 am
    Reply I follow tons of blogs but rarely comment – oops!
    Another blogger mentioned Stitch Fix for men and how excited her husband was to fill out his style profile and have his first fix. This makes me L O L because my husband is soooooo not into clothes or fashion. I just can’t even imagine him signing up for anything like that. Haha!
    I have NEVER been into haunted houses – like why would anyone want to scare the crap out of themselves on purpose?!? Crazy and nope.
    Happy weekend ????